source control question

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Jan 5 21:41:50 PST 2005

On 2005-01-06 00:22, Robert William Vesterman <bob at vesterman.com> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>On 2005-01-05 20:29, Robert William Vesterman <bob at vesterman.com> wrote:
>>>Does anyone know of a source control system that is not so
>>>directory-centric? Most of the ones I've seen seem to have a base
>>>assumption that, more or less, "directory" == "project".
>>
>>AFAICT, any version control system that supports 'views' or 'modules'
>>can do that.  You can put pretty much anything in any place you want
>>and then create project based hierarchies of files by pulling parts of
>>the repository under the project directory.
>
> Yes, that's pretty much the concept I'm looking for.  Does anyone know
> of any such version control systems? If cvs, Subversion, or sccs have
> it, I must have missed it.

Yes, CVS has modules.  The Texinfo documentation is a bit awkward to
browse, but if you are interested in finding out how modules can be used
to create arbitrary `collections' of files, see:

	% info '(cvs)'

Look for the section titled ``The modules file''.  The most interesting
part of this is probably the description of the -a option, in the
subsection ``Alias modules''.

- Giorgos