make installworld - permission denied

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 5 20:40:05 PST 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 10:14 pm, Mark wrote:
> Urgh, it was all going so well. I suppose it had to happen:
>
> I did as the hallowed handbook commanded:

Why aren't you following /usr/src/UPDATING instead, that tends to be
more up to date than the handbook.

> #make buildworld
> #make buildkernel KERNCONF=L004
> #make installkernel

This step should have been:
	make installkernel KERNCONF=L004

> I rebooted into single user mode:

Why don't you use "shutdown now" instead, that way your put into single
user mode with things already mounted. Just accept the standard
location of sh, cd into /usr/src and you can finish up.

> #mount -a
> #cd /usr/src
> #mergemaster -p
> #make installworld

> (setting of variables omitted, i'm typing from the screen!)
> /tmp/install.XXXXXXXX make -f Makefile.inc1 reinstall

This is something I don't think I've ever seen. Where does it say to do
this. I think this is a big problem and once more I would suggest
following /usr/src/UPDATING.

> make: Permission denied
>
> ***Error code 126
> Stop in /usr/src
>
> ***Error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src
>
> Any ideas? AFAIK my permissions are still at their defaults.
>
> Apologies for any major errors I may have unwittingly made,
> this is my first buildworld. Please tell me my setup is NOT
> ruined, it still had that two-week-old-fresh-install feel to
> it and I had everything just how I like it.
>
> Putting on a brave face.

Final time: use the method in /usr/src/UPDATING. That's why it's there.

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill
donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm