New FreeBSD 5.3 e-mail server extremely slow - traced to getpwnam maybe ?

Bruce Campbell bruce at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 5 08:08:21 PST 2005

Quoting Bruce Campbell <bruce at engmail.uwaterloo.ca>:
> > On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:27:27PM -0500, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > I wrote a small program:
> > >
> > >   #include <sys/types.h>
> > >   #include <pwd.h>
> > >
> > >   main( int argc, char *argv[] )
> > >   {
> > >   getpwuid( 13076 );
> > >   }
> > >
> > > and ran it under truss on 5.x and it generated 178,711 lines of output.
> > > (the bulk of which is those lseek/read calls as above)

It looks like the overhaul of getpwent Apr/2003 to make it thread safe:

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/gen/getpwent.c

may be the problem.

I've tested the dbm_fetch function independently on a large
file, and it is fine.

I've opened a bug report, and plan to build a replacement 4.x
mail server, as the most deterministic path to restoring
adequate e-mail service to our users.

Can anyone suggest a workaround ?

--
Bruce Campbell