Ultra Speed CD-RW media and cdrecord

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jan 4 20:17:19 PST 2005

In the last episode (Jan 04), Doug Poland said:
> My son gave me a package of Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW blanks for
> Christmas.  I was going to burn an ISO on my 5.3-STABLE system but
> ran into a brick wall.
>
> cdrecord tells me that it's "Trying to use ultra high speed medium on
> improper writer." I've used "MultiSpeed 1x2x4x" media and "1x-4x
> Compatible" media in the past with no problems.

>From a quick scan of the cdrecord source and some searches, it looks
like Ultra Speed media require write speeds of 16x or faster, but your
2100S can only write CD-RW media at 10x (it can do CD-R's at 16x).  You
can use the -force flag to make cdrecord write to the disks, but no
guarantees. It'd be nice if cdrecrd's error message printed the limits
of drive and media instead of just saying that something's "improper" :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com