burning 5.3-RELEASE CDs

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jan 4 20:14:51 PST 2005

     On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:21:06 -0500 Parv <parv at pair.com> wrote:

>in message <200501030936.j039arAx022411 at mp.cs.niu.edu>,
>wrote Scott Bennett thusly...
>>
>> I've downloaded the following ISO image files:
>>
>> 	5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso
>> 	5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
>> 	5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso
>>
>> I've also tried burning the first file to CD-Rs using Windows XP
>> Home's own facilities and using Sonic RecordNow! under said
>> system, but did not get bootable CDs either way.
>
>First time i tried the software of same name unknown version (IBM
>ThinkPad T42, Windows XP Professional), i selected "Data Disc" and
>chose the ISO image.  Well, it did do its job: i got the ISO image
>/file/ on the CD.
>
>After more poking around in the software interface, "Burn Image" or
>some such option was revealed under the heading of "Data Disc" or
>some such.  And, that too did its job: i got the mini install ISO
>image on CD to boot with.

     Thanks for the suggestion.  I've now gone back and found the
little green button in Sonic RecordNow! for making a bootable CD.  I
then tried it with each of the first two files noted above.  The CDs
written via the green button do get a little farther than before.
In the earlier case, the machine barely glanced at the CD before
deciding to boot from the hard drive after all.  The green button
CDs, instead, run far enough to display a message in the upper left
corner of the screen that says, "Missing operating system", and then
hang.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG