iTunes server SUCCESS!! Here are my notes

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Jan 4 10:49:19 PST 2005

This outlines some extra steps I had to take to setup an iTunes server
in FreeBSD 5.3

I followed the instructions at
http://home.introweb.nl/~dodger/itunesserver.html

There are a few notes (I suspect those instructions are a bit
old/outdated in a few places):

ORIGINAL TEXT:
"Now you'll have to download Rendezvous.tar.gz from Apple. Go to
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/rendezvous/source/
Rendezvous.tar.gz, register and download the file to the directory
/usr/ports/distfiles. After doing this, go back to
/usr/ports/net/rendezvous (if needed) and type:"

CORRECTION:
Rendezvous is now found at  /usr/ports/net/p5-Net-Rendezvous

[Thanks to Jason Henson for pointing this out to me]

NEW #1:  /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mDNSResponder.sh didn't exist, so I copied
it from /usr/ports/net/mDNSResponder/files/mDNSResponder.sh.  Then I
had to manually edit the file.  Mine now looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: mDNSResponder
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD

. /etc/rc.subr

name=mDNSResponder
rcvar=`set_rcvar`

# CHANGE THIS to wherever it is installed
# It used to be installed to /usr/local/sbin/
command=/usr/local/bin/mDNSResponder

# DON'T change this here.  Change it in /etc/rc.conf
mDNSResponder_enable=${mDNSResponder_enable:-"NO"}

# OLD: These flags no longer seem to work (2005-01-04)
#mDNSResponder_flags=${mDNSResponder_flags:-"-b -n `/bin/hostname -s`"}

pidfile="/var/run/mDNSResponder.pid"

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

#EOF

NEW #2:

I added these lines to /etc/rc.conf:

daapd_enable="YES"
mDNSResponder_enable="YES"

FYI: here are the config files as I have them

$ cat /usr/local/etc/mDNSResponder.conf
FreeBSD iTunes server
_daap._tcp.

3689

$ cat /usr/local/etc/daapd.conf
Port            3689
ServerName      daapd server
DBName          FreeBSD iTunes server
Password
Root            /usr/home/itunes
Cache
Timescan        2
RescanInterval  0

NOTE: I had to restart the FreeBSD system to get it to show up in
iTunes.  Doesn't seem like it ought to be necessary, but it was for me.

I think those were all the steps I had to take.

I hope this will help anyone else who is trying to do the same.

TjL