java question.

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 08:30:53 PST 2005

Gary Kline wrote:
> 	On both my 4.10 system (this one: tao) and one on my
> 	5.3 platforms, I'm *finally* using jdk14.  Can I free
> 	up the linux-sun-jdk14 binary and space and yet be
> 	able to build/rebuild everything Java??

Yes.

If you use portupgrade, you might get pkgdb complaining about apache-ant
or somesuch depending on the linux-sun-jdk14 port, but that can be fixed
easily by running 'pkgdb -F'.  All of the Java stuff should pretty much
"just work"(tm) exactly the same with the native jdk14 port, although
there may be one or two things that don't either crash or freeze up with
the native JDK...

When you remove the linux-sun-jdk port, check /usr/local/etc/javavms for
sanity.  Also check for environment variables like JAVA_HOME, JDK_HOME
or CLASSPATH -- for best results those variables should (probably) be
unset.  Most Java apps should be using /usr/local/bin/javavm which is a
shell script that automatically substitutes whatever your favourite JVM
is.  Those environment variables will override that behaviour, which is
something you only want to do if (a) you know what you're doing and (b)
that's what you specifically intend to do.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                       School Rd