Large file on a DVD-ROM showing -ve size

Александр Деревян Александр Деревян
Tue Jan 4 04:26:38 PST 2005

David Landgren wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I know FreeBSD deals with files larger than 2Gb, but I have a large
> file on a DVD I can't copy. This is on 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD, compiled
> Tue Oct 5 09:42:59 CEST 2004
>
> ls -l gives:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  -2131373162 Nov 17 01:05 bas1.bas
>
> The fact that ls itself gets it wrong makes me nervous.
>
> I compiled a 5.8.6 Perl with large file support and 64bitint and ran
> the following:
>
> /usr/local/p586-64i/bin/perl -le \
>     '$_=shift; print "$_\t", (stat $_)[7]' bas1.bas
> bas1.bas        -2131373162
>
> I updated my copy of rsync from ports and tried that way:
>
> % rsync -av /cdrom/bas1.bas /home/david/
> building file list ... done
> bas1.bas
>
> sent 87 bytes  received 40 bytes  254.00 bytes/sec
> total size is -2131373162  speedup is -16782465.84
>
> ... and the resulting file is 0 bytes.
>
> I'm wondering if there is something special I have to add as a
> parameter to the mount command, in order to have the kernel interpret
> things differently. I've had a look at mount_cd9660 but nothing leaps
> out at me.
>
> The mount currently looks like this:
>
> /dev/acd0c on /cdrom (cd9660, local, read-only)
>
> Or something else? Thanks for any clues I can use,
> David

The DVD filesystem (iso) doesn't support itself files bigger then 2 Gb.
It's because of signed int32 filesize in ISO FS.
You can write on DVD files upto 4Gb in size (last version of growisofs
needed),
but you can't read them back.
You can check - may be, in 5.3 this is solved. Bu i suggest to you read
this file on some other system.
You can also dump DVD in image and attempt to take this file out of the
image manually.

I have the same problems (but i can't write >2 Gb files) then attempt to
make backups on DVD-R

Best regards,
Alexander Derevianko