my lame attempt at a shell script...

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Tue Jan 4 01:31:31 PST 2005

On Jan 3 at 13:44, Timothy Luoma launched this into the bitstream:

> On Jan 3, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to create a shell script for firewalling.  What I'm hoping to do
>> is create a generic script that looks for variables in /etc/rc.conf.  I've
>> tried looking at other scripts that use variables placed there, but don't
>> understand how to pull the information from the file.
>
> Ah, now I may be a FreeBSD newbie, but I've been doing shell scripts for a
> long time.

Take note, he is *really* not exaggerating!!

> What specifically are you trying to pull out of /etc/rc.conf?
>

> ps - that said, why aren't you setting firewall configuration once and
> leaving it alone?

Yeah, I wondered about that too, unless there's something particular to
that local configuration it sort of seems like reinventing the wheel.

BTW, welcome to FreeBSD Tim! You have been assimilated etc. :-)