my lame attempt at a shell script...

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Jan 3 18:21:20 PST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:28 PM, Eric F Crist wrote:

> A couple more questions, then I'm done. Promise.
>
> I need to verify whether or not there is an entry for grog_firewall_oif
> and grog_firewall_iif in /etc/rc.conf.  If not, I want to exit with an
> error.

You want to check for either "grog_firewall_oif" or "grog_firewall_iif"
in /etc/rc.conf

egrep -v "^#" /etc/rc.conf |\
egrep -q "grog_firewall_oif | grog_firewall_iif" || (echo "$0" ; exit 1)

The first line says "skips the comment lines" (the ones that begin with
#)

> Also, a little more advanced, I need to pull information from an
> ifconfig output.  I need to pull network numbers for both the internal
> interface, as well as external interface.  For example,
>
> vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>          inet 192.168.1.5 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>          inet6 fe80::20e:a6ff:feb9:2d3d%vr0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>          ether 00:0e:a6:b9:2d:3d
>          media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>          status: active
>
> I don't actually need my own address, I need to be able to figure out
> that the system, based on the above output, is on the 192.168.1.0/24
> network.  This will be input into my firewall rulesets.
>
> I imagine that there's a util or command around that can do this, or I
> can code out the math, but there's got to be an easier way.

How much can you assume?  Will you know the interface?  If so it's
fairly easy

ifconfig vr0  |\
	tr '\012' ' ' |\
	 sed 's#.*inet ##; s# netmask.*##'

roughly translated:
line 1: give me the information for vr0 only
line 2: replace the end of line (\012) and replace them with a space
line 3: delete everything from the beginning of the line up to "inet "
and then delete everything from " netmask" to the end of the line

Put it into a variable

MY_IP=`ifconfig vr0  |\
	tr '\012' ' ' |\
	 sed 's#.*inet ##; s# netmask.*##'`