Backup with dd?

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Mon Jan 3 09:57:46 PST 2005

Hello all,

I've decided to try doing a complete system backup, attempting a
bit-for-bit copy.  A friend told me to try the following:

# dd if=/dev/ad4 of=/dev/ad6

Both drives are identical SATA150.  Is this the best way?  I'm hope to
be able to do a daily/weekly backup this way, and if my primary drive
fails, switch the cables and just reboot.

TIA

Eric F Crist                  "I am so smart, S.M.R.T!"
Secure Computing Networks              -Homer J Simpson