Samba on a router; doesn't work for outer network.

James Jhai james at idea-anvil.net
Mon Jan 3 06:36:57 PST 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 07:12 am, Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to configure Samba on a FreeBSD (5.3) router & NAT.
>
> I want to have a single accessible directory with a password,
> that can be accessed from the inner network (10.0.0.X) as well
> as from the outer network (outer network = Windows PCs that use
> the same external router as the FreeBSD PC).
>
> It works for the inner network, but not for the outer network
> (see below for network scheme). All Windows PCs are XP.
>
> For testing this, I use an 'open' firewall. I should tighten the
> firewall as soon as this is working.
>
> The /usr/local/etc/smb.conf (configured with swat) is as follows:
>
> #------------ smb.conf ----------------------------------
> [global]
>          workgroup = CISR
>          netbios name = SURFACE
>          server string = FreeBSD Samba Server
>          passdb backend = tdbsam
>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>          max log size = 50
>          dns proxy = No
>          ldap ssl = no
>
> [share]
>          comment = Shared stuff
>          path = /home/share
>          invalid users = @wheel
>          valid users = share
>          read only = No
>          force create mode = 0700
>          force security mode = 0700
> #---------------------------------------------------------
>

> The network scheme is as follows:
>
>                         |IP on outer network
>                       |---------|
>                       | FreeBSD |
>   |------------|      | Router  |
>   |   Switch   |      |---------|
>   |------------|        |10.0.0.1
>     |  |  |  |          |
>     |  |  |  \----------/
>     |  |  |
>     |  |  10.0.0.2
>     |  |
>     |  10.0.0.3
>     10.0.0.4
>

> What could be blocking Samba on the outer network?
> What communication is essential for Samba to work on the outer network?
> What tests can I do on the router to find out what's going wrong?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Rob.

I belive you'll have to add the "interfaces" option and define all the interfaces that you
want samba to use. You can use IP's or the interface names (rl0, wi0, ndis0, ed0, etc...).

I think you will have to use the advanced option in swat to be able to define this. Swat
will also have more details on this option in the "help".

In addition to setting firewall rules up, samba also has a deny/allow section, again the swat help
on the option will give you more details.

--
- James