Recommended Mail Transfer Agent

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jan 2 12:24:54 PST 2005

Michael Madden <madden at cmsrtp.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to setup a mail server with FreeBSD 5.3 for a group of around
> 100 users, and I was wondering which MTA I should use.  I have noticed
> sendmail is the default MTA, but I have no sendmail experience.  Also I know
> historically sendmail has had some serious security issues.

You're liable to get a LOT of opinion on this.  Personally, the only thing
I have against sendmail is that it's configuration makes me dizzy.

I use Postfix, and I recommend it to most, as it does a nice job of
being secure, yet easy to configure.

> Furthermore, can someone recommend a decent POP3 and IMAP server?

I've been using Dovecot for quite some time now.  It's not even a 1.0
product yet, and I still find it excellent for both POP and IMAP.  It
includes support for both POP3S and IMAPS, which I find very important
in this day and age.

Postfix delivering to maildirs + Dovecot for POP3S/IMAPS makes a very
reliable and secure setup in my opinion.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies