Freebsd remote install howto

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jan 2 11:56:42 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:05:26AM +0530, Sunil Sunder Raj wrote:
> Hi,
> Had to install freebsd on a machine without a floppy disk nor a cd drive.
> This machine is on the lan. Is there any way I can install freebsd from
> another freebsd machine in the lan.

You could try a pxeboot(8)-based method, if your machine supports PXE:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/09/09/diskless_server.html

I've done something similar to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a
Soekris net4801 board that comes without keyboard, floppy drives,
CD drives, nor VGA; just a serial console and ethernet ports.
It was amazingly simple and effective.

Good luck!

> Regards
> SSR