DNS problems - slow to resolve

David Daugherty david.daugherty at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 08:28:28 PST 2005

Ok, I wasn't getting the IPs in my resolv.conf because I had
dhclient.conf modified to supersede to the local DNS. Here's what I
did to determine the DNS that my ISP was assigning me.

I changed the dhclient.conf back to empty and restarted the network.
This then put the IPs of the two DNS servers assigned into my
resolv.conf. I then took these two IPs and added them to my forwarders
section in my named.conf. Rebooted and name lookup is much faster now.

It only took my wife grumping about having to hit refresh 20+ times to
bring up a web page in order for me to fix this since we've moved and
changed ISPs.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

--
Doc