Question on odd acl/permissions.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Jan 2 06:14:27 PST 2005

Hey all, I'd like to make a "live" backup of a file system on a regular
basis, and maintain permissions, but have such a thing be only writable by
root at any given time.  (i.e. I keep a backup drive unmounted, and mount
it read-only when users need their data).  The thing is, I have to mount
it read-write in order to create the archive.  Is there any way to make a
file system read-only for normal users but read-write by root?

This is a local filesystem.

-Dan

--

"It doesn't matter where I live, because I live in dataspace.  That's my
hometown."

-Steve Roberts, Builder of BEHEMOTH