kern.maxfiles formula?

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sun Jan 2 01:19:16 PST 2005

I am running FreeBSD 5.3 on a dual CPU system with 1 GB of RAM with under a
dozen of very active users and a few rather active processes. The system
keeps running out of FDs, causing any number of problems, such as preventing
ssh logins.

sysctl kern.maxfiles shows a maximum of 12328 FDs. My kernel config file has
"maxusers" set to 0, which means the kern.maxfiles limit must be the OS
default.

What is the maximum number of FDs that can be set on a system with 1 GB of
RAM? What would it be for 2 GB of RAM? In other words, how many FDs can a
FreeBSD 5.3 system safely support for each GB of RAM?

Thanks,
--Lucky