Please help: burncd errors

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Sat Jan 1 08:18:24 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:37:54AM -0500, John Wilson wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:21:54 +0100
> Xinizul Xinizul <xinizul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> > I'm trying to burn an iso image containing a folder of mp3 files.
> [...]
> > 192# burncd -t -f /dev/acd0 audio mp3_1.iso fixate
> [...]
>
> For one, if you are attempting to burn a data CD, you want to use the
> 'data' option passed to burncd rather than 'audio'.  Use this for burning
> ISO's.
>
> If you truly wish to burn an audio CD, you'll first need to convert your
> mp3's to wav's - I generally do this using mplayer with the -ao pcm option,
> at which point, you can happily use the 'audio' option for burncd with the
> list of wav's to burn.

Exactly. CDs that are burned with the 'audio' option SHOULD be
readable in every CD player. 'data' CDs with MP3 files MAY be
readable in modern CD- or DVD-Players with MP3 capability as
well. Since this is not standardized, you should consider using
ISO9660 with RockRidge and Joliet extentions when making the CD
image:

$ mkisofs -v -r -T -J -o /var/tmp/mp3_1.iso /path/to/mp3s
# burncd -f /dev/acd0 -s 4 data /var/tmp/mp3_1.iso fixate

keeping the hierarchy below /path/to/mp3s as flat as possible,
using .mp3 extensions for the mp3 files, not putting too many files
per folder and using conservative sampling rates that are recognized
by most hardware players (128 kbps, 44000).

> - John.

Regards,
-cpghost.

--