USB Mouse issues

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Mon Feb 28 20:39:15 GMT 2005

On 02/28/05 10:24 PM, Colin Alston sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi
>
> I recently had some fun today on FreeBSD 5.3
>
> Feb 28 19:57:24 jupiter kernel: device_attach: ums0 attach returned 6
> Feb 28 19:57:24 jupiter kernel: ums0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
> Feb 28 19:57:25 jupiter kernel: uhid0: Microsoft product 0x0040, rev
> 1.10/3.00,
> addr 2, iclass 3/1
> Feb 28 19:57:25 jupiter kernel: uhid0: no report descriptor
> Feb 28 19:57:25 jupiter kernel: device_attach: uhid0 attach returned 6
> Feb 28 19:57:25 jupiter kernel: uhid0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
> Feb 28 19:57:26 jupiter kernel: uhid0: Microsoft product 0x0040, rev
> 1.10/3.00,
>
> What its supposed to look like is - achived after some rebooting,
> swearing and praying to the USB gods.
> Feb 28 19:58:44 jupiter kernel: ums0: Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse
> with IntelliEye(TM), rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
>
> Not really sure whats going on, very likely my dodgey VIA USB chipset as
> this happend on Debian as well.

I've had some interesting stuff happen with usb pointer devices
recently too.  I found that when I plug them in at runtime, they seem
to get swept up by moused via the usb daemon, and wisked away to
/dev/sysmouse.

What really confused me was that I did not have moused enabled.  It
took quite a while to even realize that it was running.

Naturally, when you want to hook up a mouse and a trackball (the
trackball doesn't hurt my hand - I only use the mouse for fine pointer
work, like playing NWN), this gets tricky to have them both pulled out
from under you to a place you can't really get them without rebooting
X.  When I rebooted, I got pretty much the same thing you did -
everything worked.

What I finally did was find the device "Mouse" section in
/etc/usbd.conf and comment it all out.  This way, the pointers stay
accessible at the ums* device, even when plugged in at runtime - the
usb daemon leaves them alone for apps (like X) to access there.

HTH

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

Kinkler's Second Law:
  All the easy problems have been solved.