remote dump via ssh

John lists at reiteration.net
Mon Feb 28 16:35:13 GMT 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:41:51 +0000, John wrote
> Hi folks
>
> I want to level 0 dump a remote partition onto a large local disk.
> There's not enough space on the remote machine to dump to a file
> then sftp over. It needs to dump via ssh.
>
> any ideas? lokking for an elegant one-line solution
>
> thanks!

In the time-honoured tradition of replying to onself after RTFM I do it like this:

bash-2.05b# /sbin/dump -0uan -f - /usr/local | gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish \
mylogin at wherei.wantto.dump.to dd \
of=/backup/dumps/level0/28022005/dump-usr.local.l0.gz

/backup is an nfs-mounted external HD

I wonder if it would pipe to gpg -c rather than gzip.

lists at reiteration.net