how long does it takes you to do a make buildworld

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 15:21:50 GMT 2005

Luke Kearney wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:23:38 -0500
> "Kevin A. Pieckiel"
<pieckiel+freebsd-questions at sdf.lonestar.org> spake
thus:

Rooij wrote:

>>>I'm very curious about how long it took you guys to
do a make buildworld.
>>>So I thought let's start a topic about it.;-)
>>
>>Between 22 to 26 hours.  Pentium classic, 166MHz, 32
MB RAM.

>>When I bumped up the RAM to 48, it cut that down to
under a day because
>>it didn't have to swap all the time.  I think it was
somehwere between
>>8 and 16 hours then.
>>
>>Oh, on my good system, it takes about 15 mins.
>>Dual P4 3.2 GHz with HT enabled (four virtual procs)
>>1 GB RAM
>>
>>And I haven't done a recent buildworld on my dual
proc Alpha in a while.

> With 5.3 release on a dual sparc 450 with 1Gb memory
it takes about 3
> hours give or take. I have a couple of dual PIII
1Ghz and they take
> between 30 to 50 mins. On a PII 333Mhz about 5hrs.
Learnt early on never
> to try and do it on a tight schedule ;-)

----

On 'regular' Intel PCs with enough RAM (little
swapping only), I use as a rule of thumb following
equation:

   time = 1e5 / (speed * nproc)

where
   time - in minutes
   speed - CPU speed in MHz
   nproc - number of processors

For the examples above:
  166MHz ~10 hrs.
  dual-3.2 GHz ~16 min.
  dual-1Ghz ~50 min.

And I have another 6 PCs here, ranging from 150 MHz
to dual GHz, for which this formula also works fine.

Although my formula was heavily critized on the
mailinglist, because there are too many factors that
determine the compilation time, it sort of seems to
work roughly on simple Intel based PC's.

Regards,
Rob.