Why can't I access my floppy disk?

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Mon Feb 28 13:32:42 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 06:41:10PM +0100, Anthony Atkielski typed:
> Loren M. Lang writes:

> > I don't know why this is, it should still be possible, especially since
> > you can mount cdroms.  /dev/fd0 is read/write by root right?  And the
> > disk already had a formatted filesystem on it before you tried mounting
> > it?
>
> Yes to both questions.  But it must be securelevel, because it works on
> the test machine.  The man page doesn't say anything about this
> restriction, though, nor is it obvious from what the page does say.

>From the securelevel manpage (which is symlinked to init(8) ):

 1     Secure mode - the system immutable and system append-only flags may
       not be turned off; disks for mounted file systems, /dev/mem,
       /dev/kmem and /dev/io (if your platform has it) may not be opened
       for writing; kernel modules (see kld(4)) may not be loaded or
       unloaded.

 2     Highly secure mode - same as secure mode, plus disks may not be
       opened for writing (except by mount(2)) whether mounted or not.
       This level precludes tampering with file systems by unmounting
       them, but also inhibits running newfs(8) while the system is multi-
       user.