tap interface, bridging and freebsd 5.3

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Mon Feb 28 11:17:36 GMT 2005

Andrea Riela wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would test openvpn with bridging options, then I need a tap interface.
> I've compiled my kernel with
> device    tap
> then 'kldload if_tap' via command line

These are mutually exclusive: either you compile your kernel with tap or
you load it as a module, not both.

> but I don't see a tap interface in /dev or with ifconfig ...

You won't see any network interface in /dev; just run ifconfig -a and
check: you won't find any of the listed devices in /dev.

> Obviously:
> tcpdump -i tap0
> tcpdump: BIOCSETIF: tap0: Device not configured

taps will come up when some programs activates it. Once you have openvpn
correctly running, you'll see tap0 in ifconfig's output and you'll be
able to run tcpdump against it.

  bye
	av.