/dev/io , /dev/mem : only used by Xorg?

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 11:10:51 GMT 2005

--- Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> As the original poster discussed, /dev/io, /dev/mem
> and /dev/random
> are optional components of the 5.x kernel, although
> as I replied, the
> situations in which one would not want to include
> them are limited.

What triggered my question, was what I found in the
man page of io:

     The special file /dev/io is a controlled
     security hole that allows a process to gain
     I/O privileges (which are normally reserved
     for kernel-internal code).

So I thought, if it's not needed (since I have no
X installed), then it better should go.

BTW I do not have it in the kernel config, but load
io, mem and random as a module via /boot/loader.conf.
I suppose that's the same.

Rob.