tcpdump install issues

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 08:33:47 GMT 2005

FreeBSD MailingLists wrote:
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 from CD onto a
> couple of servers.  I updated the /usr/src and
> /usr/ports to  RELENG_5.  When I try to install
> tcpdump from the ports, the make fails with the last
> line being
>
> Error: shared library "pcap.2" does not exist
> *** Error code 1

I wonder why you want to do this.

My system is not 5.3, but STABLE, which refers to
5.4-PRERELEASE at this moment. On this system, it
appears to me that base system and ports have the
same versions (see below). Then why not using
tcpdump from the basesystem?

Rob.

$ cd /usr/ports/
$ make search name=tcpdump
Port:   tcpdump-3.8.3_1
Info:   Ubiquitous network traffic analysis tool
Maint:  bms at FreeBSD.org
B-deps: autoconf-2.53_3 libpcap-0.8.3 m4-1.4.1
        perl-5.8.6_2
R-deps: libpcap-0.8.3

$ /usr/sbin/tcpdump -V
tcpdump version 3.8.3