need help watching mpeg movies from archive.org

bsdnooby bsdnooby at optonline.net
Mon Feb 28 04:13:56 GMT 2005

I haven't had much luck watching movies.  I tried avilfiles, mplayer,
and xine.  The file types I was trying to play were MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4,
and MPEG4-edit.

I wanted to watch a movie about Japan, so after searching for "Japan" here:

   http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php

I took the first link which is this movie:

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=19296

I downloaded every version of it, and haven't been able to watch any of
them.  I tried some other movies, with the same results.  Basically, I
get the sound along with a blue video.

Can someone try to download a movie and tell what they had to do to be
able to view it?  I'm still not sure if I am supposed to install the
codecs seperately, or maybe copy some files over from my old Windows
installation.

thx