AMD and NFS

David Wassman myfreebsd at cox.net
Mon Feb 28 02:01:53 GMT 2005

I have computer A running 5.3 as a NFS server and AMD. I would like for
a remote client to be able to access the cd-rom on A without accessing A
to mount the drive. It is my understanding that NFS on the client will
only mount the drive locally and not from on the server side. The drive
has to be mounted locally before it can be accessed on a NFS client. I
have tried to setup AMD to accomplish the mounting on the server side
but there is little to no good docs on the setup in this configuration.
Has someone tried this before? It would be alot of help for the client
the be able to mount the drive remotely then locally to access.

My current amd.conf:
# GLOBAL OPTIONS SECTION
[ global ]
normalize_hostnames =    no
print_pid =              no
restart_mounts =         yes
auto_dir =               /n
log_file =               /var/log/amd
log_options =            all
#debug_options =         all
plock =                  no
selectors_on_default =   yes
# config.guess picks up "sunos5" and I don't want to edit my maps yet
#os =                     sos5
# if you print_version after setting up "os", it will show it.
print_version =          no
map_type =               file
search_path =            /etc/amd.map:/usr/lib/amd:/usr/local/AMD/lib
browsable_dirs =         yes

# DEFINE AN AMD MOUNT POINT
[ /cdrom ]
map_name =               amd.cdrom

amd.map:
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/amd.map,v 1.9 2002/05/15 22:24:29 obrien Exp $
#
/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/host;rhost:=${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=3,proto=udp,nosuid,nodev

localhost               type:=auto;fs:=${map};pref:=${key}/

localhost/cdrom         type:=program;fs:=/mnt/cdrom;\
                        mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/cdrom";\
                        unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/cdrom"

localhost/floppy        type:=program;fs:=/mnt/floppy;\
                        mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/floppy";\
                        unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/floppy"