complete rookie sendmail question

Ken Hawkins ken at rosewoodblues.com
Sun Feb 27 21:03:54 GMT 2005

inline...

On Feb 27, 2005, at 3:26 PM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2005-02-27 11:44, Ken Hawkins <ken at rosewoodblues.com> wrote:
>> Found out it was a firewall issue and that is open now. though my
>> problem has gone from connection refused to:
>> Feb 27 08:22:04 web1 sendmail[85505]: j1MIj4DI065443: <...>
>> delay=4+19:37:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=22920813,
>> relay=bhost1.broadjam.net., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation timed
>> out with bhost1.broadjam.net.
>>
>> is there a timeout that I can set in sendmail to set a longer wait
>> time on this?
>
> Something else is wrong now.  I can't connect to the SMTP port of
> bhost1.broadjam.net, so I can't tell if it's down or just refusing my
> attempt to connect.

I think it is just refusing your connection attempts.

> Are you sure you should be sending outgoing email through that host?

yes.

>> my flags in my rc.conf are:
>>
>> sendmail_enable="YES"
>> sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m" # -bd is pretty mandatory.
>
> This looks a bit wrong, if you are running a recent release of FreeBSD.
> The sendmail_enable option is *NOT* going to work with _flags.  It is
> mostly a wrapper around the following:
>
> 	sendmail_submit_enable
> 	sendmail_outbound_enable
> 	sendmail_msp_queue_enable
>
> You should definitely read the manpage of rc.sendmail, before setting
> Sendmail-related options in your /etc/rc.conf file.  Pay very close
> attention to the section ``RC.CONF VARIABLES''.

from my man rc.conf:

RC.CONF VARIABLES
      The following variables affect the behavior of rc.sendmail.  They
are
      defined in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and can be changed in
/etc/rc.conf.

      sendmail_enable
              (str) If set to ``YES'', run the sendmail(8) daemon at
system
              boot time.  If set to ``NO'', do not run a sendmail(8)
daemon to
              listen for incoming network mail.  This does not preclude a
              sendmail(8) daemon listening on the SMTP port of the
loopback
              interface.  The ``NONE'' option is deprecated and should
not be
              used.  It will be removed in a future release.

      sendmail_flags
              (str) If sendmail_enable is set to ``YES'', these are the
flags
              to pass to the sendmail(8) daemon.

and my settings are:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m" # -bd is pretty mandatory.

the only thing that I see wrong here is that I do not need the -bd
which tells sendmail to run as a daemon since sendmail_enable="YES"
essentially does this. the other is to process the queue every 30
minutes. am I missing my problem here?