Upgrading hardware from P3 to AMD 64

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sun Feb 27 18:53:16 GMT 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 18:12, Subhro wrote:

> > As I said, I'm recompiling for 686 (which I think is pentium pro), my
> > undestanding is that the AMD 64 is back-compatible to 686.
>
> Negative. AFAIK there are incompatible in both the ways.

I found this thread:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-amd64/2004-September/thread.html#2110>
which shows that there are people using the i386 version on the AMD64. It
makes sense, since there aren't dedicated amd64 versions of windows
applications.

I must admit, I'd forgoten it has it's own FreBSD installation ISOs, so I
guess there is no smooth upgrade path from i386 to amd64. Maybe I'll do that
with 5.4.