Received mail timestamp is off by 7 hours

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun Feb 27 13:58:30 GMT 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:10:12 -0700 Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Alright, I got it all working now.  Not sure how to change the time
 > zone with config files, so I just used sysinstall to change it to MST
 > (time zone is arbitrary, but since this is the zone I live in, it's
 > convenient for me).  Then I used ntpdate to sync it, and it's working
 > well now.
 >
 > Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I just thought that CET was central time :)

Yes sysinstall's as good a way as any, it'll set your timezone and also
let you choose between running with a UTC or local time CMOS clock.  Or
you can manually tun tzsetup(8) and create (or not) /etc/wall_cmos_clock
.. see adjkerntz(8)

Take little notice of people opining that you must or even should run
CMOS UTC time; that's entirely up to you.  I've always preferred local
time CMOS clocks personally; sysinstall creates /etc/wall_cmos_clock and
cron runs 'adjkerntz -a' halfhourly at times when daylight savings time
might come or go in your zone, and that's always worked fine here.

The only thing to watch running wall_cmos_clock is that if you boot to
single user mode, before /etc/rc has run 'adjkerntz -i' the system will
assume CMOS is UTC, so any files then modified show timestamps in UTC
(discovered the hard way in Jan 2000 on a box with a broken y2k BIOS :)

Cheers, Ian