Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Feb 27 07:41:33 GMT 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Jon Drews writes:
>
>> If you think the FreeBSD community is a "nightmare" then why are you
>> sticking around except to stir up strife ?
>
> It's the closest thing to support available for FreeBSD.  There's
> nothing else.
>
> I do note, however, that only about 10% of my questions to the list
> actually generate useful answers.  The other questions either get no
> replies at all, or vague replies that really aren't useful, or pure
> guesses.  One gets the impression that nobody really knows anything
> about FreeBSD, or, if anybody does, he never replies to this list.

That is bullshit.  Take your recent request regarding firefox.  I told
you exactly how to do it - install ports, run portupgrade, then make
install in the firefox directory.

I did exactly that Monday evening on a system I was setting up and it
worked perfectly.

I also told you not to screw with the precompiled firefox package, and
you did it anyway, and you had problems.

> Indeed, the only messages that generate replies are those that suggest
> that FreeBSD is anything other than sweetness and light.  Serious
> questions about how to use the software are met by a deafening
> silence in too many cases.
>
> That's why I say what I do on my Web site.  Anyone thinking of running
> FreeBSD in a production environment needs on-site experts to deal with
> it, because they'll never get any help from anywhere else.

Untrue.  There's many of the core team that make a living consulting
with FreeBSD and that has been going on for years.

What you really mean to say is that they will never get any CHEAP help
from anywhere else, whereas with Windows since it's common as dogshit,
there's enough activity in the huge number of Windows forums that
your bound to run across the answer to your question, for free, if you
fish around for it long enough.

Ted