PPP Connection.

Peterhin hindrich at worldchat.com
Fri Feb 25 20:12:10 GMT 2005

On February 25, 2005 14:09, you wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:11:34PM -0500, Peterhin wrote:
> > I have 5.3 installed, and am trying to get my dial-up going.
> > In the handbook under 21.2.1.2 when 	I try to do a
> > 'cd /dev'
> > 'sh MAKEDEV tun0'
> >  I get "can't open makedev: No such file or directory"
>
> The 5.x series uses a devfs filesystem which creates devices on the
> fly. You don't have to make the devices manually anymore.
>
> > I also tried using G. Lehey instructions from his book, I get to
> > the point where  the external modem dials at reboot, but no
> > connection. I have looked in the log files and it looks like
> > Authentication failure is my problem.

OK, finger trouble on my part I have a connection now.

> Username and password is incorrect? Post us the actual contents of
> the logs and your ppp.conf (with the username/password blanked out)
> and we will have a better idea just what is going wrong with your
> system.
I have a good connection however if I try to disconnect by typing
at the 'PPP ON localhost>' close
            'PPP ON Localhost>
or use the 'q'
I get back to the #
however the modem has not disconnected. I did a 'ping' to confirm on
(ttyv1)
--
Peter

"Civil Liberties are at the whim of those in power"