Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Feb 25 18:36:51 GMT 2005

> Jerry McAllister writes:
>
> > Unfortunately, it is sort of true.  If someone chose something other
> > than IBM and something screwed up, the chooser would get wailed upon
> > for making a dumb choice.   If then chose IBM and something screwed up
> > as it most often did, they could say, well that is just the way it
> > is in the computer field.   It ain't my fault.   Then IBM is just
> > grinning and rubbing their hands at all the additional stuff they will
> > then get to sell to fix up their own screwups.
>
> > Well, that same odor seems to come on those winds from the northwest
> > as well.    If you are a middle manager, you don't have to justify paying
> > scads of money to buy an MS "solution" and any screwups are just the way
> > life is.  But your neck is on the line if you buy anything else - even if
> > it is free.   You have to justify it first and defend it every day
> > regardless of how much better it might perform.  So, managers cave.
> > They want to keep their salaries and get their bosses off their backs.
>
> It's a bit more complex than that.  Companies like IBM and Microsoft
> will assist managers in justifying their respective software or hardware
> solutions.  The manager is not alone in arguing in favor of these
> solutions.  If the manager chooses something like open source, or any
> unsupported solution, he's on his own, and often he loses.

Roughly what I said in the piece you cut off only you use softer
language here.

I have been in numerous bid battles (as customer) and IBM used to
heavily employ that 'no one ever got fired for buying IBM' line
especially if the choice seemed close.    I haven't heard MS people
actually say it, but strongly imply the same sort of thing.
They both also like to feed managers lines to use in rationalizing
choosing their own stuff.   Everyone does that.   It just makes sense.

But it is the implied threat stated in reverse that characterizes their
attitude.  The managers in the cases I participated in, were not wishing
to choose IBM or MS, but were being threatened in a sense.

////jerry