trouble booting 5.3 on i386 IBM

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Fri Feb 25 18:31:56 GMT 2005

I created a bug report and nothing was entered,so I thought I would ask the
group again if anyone has seen this??
Brand new drives...brand new full install:

Using 5.3 release is when I 1st noticed this. CVSup to 5.3-STABLE does not
fix this trouble.

If both IDE channels are enabled and they are all set to AUTO/AUTO for
master/slave and there is no drive (yet) installed to IDE channel2, the
machine hangs at boot. If I install a drive to IDE channel2, the machine boots.

If I disable IDE channel2, the machine will boot as well.

When it hangs, all I see on the console is:

FreeBSD/i386 BOOT

Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

boot:

..if I hit <return> at this point, the beastie menu comes up.

The machine will NOT boot on it's own.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA