Fwd: Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Feb 25 18:04:02 GMT 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> Daniel, if I'm running a big company and I pay a developer a chunk of
>> change for a distributed FreeBSD server manager program, or some such
>> thing like that, I am not going to pay them if they are going to take
>> the money and run out and work on their own projects.
>
> Nor will most companies pay them to write anything that they are going
> to release as free software.

No, not true at all!

The vast majority of businesses that employ contractors to customize
software for them are actually paying companies for the labor, and
the developer is an employee of that contracting company.  In those
cases the code ownership is that of the contracting company, and you
as a business owner won't see a line of code written for you until you
sign a contract that formalizes this.

What the contracting company then does with the code is their own
business.

Ted