Fwd: Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Daniel bdaniel7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 08:04:11 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:48:05 -0500 (EST), Jerry McAllister  wrote:

> > would not these things be worthy of implementing in FreeBSD? this way
> > other big companies would use it, pay you guys for it and FreeBSD will
> > grow stronger...
> > making a good OS that runs on cheap, low-end machines is nice, but the
> > real money come from companies...
>
> Maybe.   But the initial intent of FreeBSD was not making money.
> It was having an OS that the people creating it liked so they didn't
> have to muck around with the rest of the junk out there.

by making money i did not meant necessarily big bank acocunts for the
its developers but money that would allow developers to allocate more
time to FreeBSD, enhancing it so that when someone, sys admin/company/
would want to setup a internet-aware (mail, web, fw, gw) server and at
the same time keep the peace of mind, would think "Of course!, we'll
use FreeBSD, you'll see, it's awesome"

> But, there is no reason that someone could not make such a system
> out of FreeBSD and charge for it - and probably make some significant
> money.
>
> I don't know if that should be the direction of the FreeBSD project
> per se though.   Maybe, if those people who made the big system
> contributed their work back to FreeBSD it would be interesting.

i hardly think that companies that use and enhance FreeBSD adding
features that they (and maybe others) need, would submit back those
enhacements - BSD license...

Dan