FreeBSD inside VMWare and x.org

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 04:56:36 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:37:53 -0500, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:

> I can't seem to get X to start with any decent screen realestate.  If
> I use the "vmware" driver, I'm stuck with 640x480.  I experimented some
> and tried the "vesa" driver, which worked nicely except the screen is
> huge (I'm guessing 3000x3000 or so) and since most of it is off the
> monitor, it's unusable.

it sounds like these issues are related to your X.org config file.
you may want to check out the "Subsection Display" settings in
/etc/X11/XF86Config (or maybe Xorg.config for xorg don't remember at
the moment).  I've never tried running X in a vmware machine, but if
you are able to get the binary up and running I assume you should be
able to change these config options.  if this does not work i'd
suggest posting the interesting portions of /var/log/XFree86.0.log to
the list.

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~