ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Roeland Hemsteede roeland.hemsteede at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 01:15:33 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have got a problem with FreeBSD and my laptop, I am trying to install
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE on it but i get the following errors ata1-slave:
FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out also it takes alot of time to load
uhub1. I am trying to dualboot it with Windows XP but I dont think thats
a problem because I installed it on my home computer without any
problems ( also dualbooted and the same FreeBSD cd ).

After searching though the mailing list archives I tried the following:
At the boot prompt of the FreeBSD cd I went into the loader prompt and
did typed the following "set hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"" after that I typed
"boot" to continue booting up the installation. Yet it still hangs at
the same point.

I was hoping someone could help me getting it to boot so I can install
it on my laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Roeland