file recovery question.

freebsd-org at carmoda.com freebsd-org at carmoda.com
Thu Feb 24 23:47:49 GMT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regards to file recovery... two days ago a
directory on one of my 4 IDE discs dissappered. it was not business data
or anything hugely precious, but it would be nice to get it back.

The drive & file system is perfectly fine, no errors.
I have 4 IDE HD's [non RAID]

Virtual Memory 	Virtual Memory (swap) 	/dev/ad0s1b 	Yes 	Yes
/ 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad0s1a 	Yes 	Yes
/tmp 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad0s1e 	Yes 	Yes
/usr 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad0s1f 	Yes 	Yes
/usr1 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad1s1d 	Yes 	Yes
/usr2 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad2s1d 	Yes 	Yes
/usr3 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad3s1d 	Yes 	Yes
/var 	FreeBSD Unix Filesystem (ufs) 	/dev/ad0s1d 	Yes 	Yes
/cdrom 	ISO9660 CD-ROM (cd9660) 	/dev/acd0 	No 	Yes
/dev 	DEVFS 	devfs 	Yes 	No

It's a 2nd level directory on "/usr1", "/usr1/AudioDrive/spoken" that
went walkabout.

I had a quick peek at 'foremost', got it installed, but have had no luck
with the config side of things. the files were almost all MP3 format,
and from what i understand they dont have much in the way of headers.
nothing has been written to that drive since.

/anthony