building KLDs in RELENG_4

Peter C. Lai sirmoo at cowbert.2y.net
Thu Feb 24 16:13:07 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:59:01AM -0600, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:56:22 -0500, Peter C. Lai <sirmoo at cowbert.2y.net> wrote:
> > Is there a way to build kernel modules by themselves without having to
> > build the entire kernel? I am adding umass support to a 4.x machine but
> > I don't want to build the entire kernel. I already have scbus, but I need
> > da and of course, umass.
> >

> Yes you can build modules seperately from a kernel build
>
> cd /usr/src/sys/modules/umass
> make obj
> make
> make install
>
> Scot

ok. what about da? i don't have that in my kernel, even though i have scbus.
I think i'm just going to recompile the entire kernel anyway; I was just
trying to not have to back-cvs /usr/src to patch the current one I have
installed. (the more basic problem is i really should be keeping multiple
versions of /usr/src around for different versions on different machines,
but that is a separate problem).

--
Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut