Is Yahoo! moving from FreeBSD?

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Thu Feb 24 10:22:14 GMT 2005

> That doesen't mean of course that it's impossible to do it - you can for
> example use Solaris for a small company server - but the effort required
> to go against the grain is much higher. Solaris for example comes with no
> compiler and you must compile by hand all the applications you need, and
> often you must recompile the complier just before you can even start
> doing that.  It takes days - whereas the FreeBSD ports system takes a few
> hours for the largest and most complex packages.

Just as a side notes here:

1/ Solaris does come with 'gcc' on Compagnion CD as can be seen on a fresh
   Solaris 10 installation:
   # pkginfo -l SUNWgcc | egrep "PKGINST|NAME|ARCH|VERSION|VENDOR|DESC"
      PKGINST:  SUNWgcc
         NAME:  gcc - The GNU C compiler
         ARCH:  sparc
      VERSION:  11.10.0,REV=2005.01.08.05.16
       VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
         DESC:  GNU C - The GNU C compiler 3.4.3

2/ You can always use the pkgsrc (the NetBSD Packages Collection) as the
   FreeBSD ports system replacement for use on Sun Solaris.  We do it here
   already for some software for Solaris 2.6, 8, 9 and soon for 10.

I don't say i disagree with your global point of view, just that the last
two points may be slightly... moderated :)

--
-jpeg.