ipfw and nmap

sn1tch dot.sn1tch at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:49:41 GMT 2005

I am fairly new to IPFW, I have question regarding the stateful part
of it. Now I may just be misunderstanding this so set me straight if I
am. From what I understand when you add a check-state rule and then
following that a rule to keep-state, if a packet destined for that
port is new and "setup" was not added to the keep-state rule then
wouldn't it get denied at the check-state rule since keep-state did
not add a dynamic rule? My problem is this, and again this may not
even be correct but I have a bsd box that is simply providing me SSH
capabilities..here are the rules for it:

add check-state
add allow all from any to any 22 in via fxp0 keep-state
then the default to deny rule.

Now is there a way to allow setup connections but disallow port
scanners like nmap from seeing it as being open?

Thanks for any help