DSL modem recommendation

Chris Hodgins chodgins at cis.strath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 11:46:32 GMT 2005

[snip]

> STAY AWAY from ANY dsl modem that does NOT have an ethernet
> jack on it!!!  Such as the USB speedtouches that Pipex
> was handing out for free!!  There's a reason they are free!!
> You can't pay people (who know anything) to take them!!!
>
> Ted

What is so wrong with USB DSL modems?  I have an Alcatel Speedtouch
modem that has been absolutely rock solid since I bought it on ebay for
£8.50.  It was very easy to setup.  I just installed the pppoa port and
set up the ppp.conf file and plugged it in.  Takes about 30secs to
1minute to start-up on a boot but once it is running I have no problems
at all.  Using it for my home server and I route all of my home network
traffic out through it.  No problems at all.

Chris