java applications taking up too much memory

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Feb 23 08:56:39 GMT 2005

Hi Brian,

  First you should ask on the freebsd java mailing list, not here.

  Second, 200MB of ram isn't that big anymore these days for a server,
you might consider your system needs more?  Java isn't know for small
programs.  Java's strength is it's write-once, run-anywhere feature,
and as a result it's going to be much more resource consumptive than
a compiled C program.

  Last, most of this will probably be swapped out, so what you want to
pay attention to in top is the Swap: line.  When your app starts, you
should see swap loaded up - what you should be concerned with is if
you see a lot of in-and-out on the ram allocated, also you might try
running

systat -vmstat

you will get a better idea of what your system is doing that way
rather than just looking at top's output.

Ted