portversion runs seemingly forever

Jason Henson jason at ec.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 01:17:58 GMT 2005

On 02/22/05 19:21:43, Gunter Wambaugh wrote:
> When I try
> $ portversion -L =
>
> it seems to run forever.
>
> top yields
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAND
> 51331 root      51   0 19276K 18852K RUN      0:09 90.60% 32.86%
> ruby18
>
> I have tried portsdb -uU && pkgdb -uv, to no avail.
>
> bash-2.05b# uname -a
> FreeBSD test.thewambaughs.net 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon
> Oct 27 17:51:09 GMT 2003     root at freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/
> usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Any ideas?

Does portversion use the index file?  If so I thought you had to cd /
usr/src && make fetchindex, maybe after a cvsup.  Also I seem to
remember using portversion -l "<" when I used to use it a while back.
To find the old ports.

Just read the man page online, -L is a inverse limit, it excludes.  So
if you have not cvsuped since you last upgraded that would be why you
get nothing.  You say it seems to run forever, have you let it finish
or do you kill it?  After you do the pkgdb -uv does it still take
forever to finish, or does it seem to just hang?