slow ftp connections

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 22 15:11:56 GMT 2005

"Gerard Meijer" <gmeijer at palmweb.nl> writes:

> One of my boxes has some problems with ftp since a few days. I didn't change anything on the box. I'm running FreeBSD 4.10 and normal ftpd on the box.
>
> When I start uploading files to the box through my normal FTP client the speed slows down in a few seconds and eventually the connection even dies. I really don't know where I should look. I also run apache and my pages just load fine, so it's not that the box itself has an overall problem or something.
>
> Hope you guys can help me out.

If it were I, I'd start by looking at a packet trace of the FTP data
connection.  If that's too technical for you, try connecting to the
server through a different network path, if possible, and compare the
behaviour.  Also make sure you watch the system logs carefully while
the connection is in the process of slowing down, and see if anything
that might be relevant is written to a log file.

Good luck.