Trying to get X working.

Peter Harrmsen pharmsen at horizon.nl
Tue Feb 22 07:44:17 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 11:37 -0500, Peterhin wrote:
> I have installed Freebsd 5.3, and I am at Chapter 5.6 of the handbook,
> and really can't figure out where to go from here.
> How do I start XDM? or do I do that with 'startx'. If so I have a
> further problem, in that when I try 'startx' I get 'Fatal server error;
> no screens found' also 'X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill of
> server shutdown). xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "Quercus:0" in
> "remove" command
> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie to  CLI, and the
> NIX environment.
>

> Peter
>
> "Civil Liberties are at the whim of those in power"

First of all you ought to produce a xorg.conf file via issuing
"xorgconfig".Than edit line 8 in "/etc/ttys",change off in on and if you
have installed gdm,change xdm in gdm.. (xdm,kdm..etc) with vi.
Something like "vi /etc/ttys","i" will let you change the contents,after
that has been done,"ESC"+":"+"wq!" will actually write the file to HD
and exits vi.The rest is a matter of taste and further config with cvsup
+portupgrade and or other apps.

have fun