Questions about ports

Ramiro Aceves ea1abz at wanadoo.es
Mon Feb 21 12:15:38 GMT 2005

Hello FreeBSD friends

I have a question about ports. I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a AMD 400
MHz machine with 64 MB RAM, so it is not a fast machine for compiling
big programs! :-). The problem I am going to tell you, happened to me
several weeks ago into another slower machine (Pentium 75 in which there
is no OS now), and I can not remember some details, so  I am sorry if I
am not too acurate. I suppose I will run into this problem again with
the AMD machine so I would like to understand it better.

1- I  installed mozilla 1.7.2-2,2 from the packages on the CDROM.
2- I cvsuped the ports collection.
3- I installed and compiled some programs from the updated ports collection.
4- Mozilla did not work anymore cause in needs atk-1.6.1.

Mozilla in the package is 1.7.2_2,2 and depends on atk-1.6.1
If I install programs from the updated ports tree, atk-1.8.0 was
installed for another port and atk-1.6.1 removed, but mozilla on the
CDROM package wants atk-1.6.1. So, If I try to install again from the
cdrom, it cant cause atk-1.8.0 is installed.

Compilling mozilla in this slow machine is not reasonable, so:

Can I download a more updated mozilla package acording to my updated
ports collection? I have browsed pkg_add man pages and believe that the
environment variables PACKAGESITE and PACKAGEROOT need to be set so that
pkg_add can fetch more updated packages. Am I right? Where should they
point to?

I will use pkg_add only for big programs, and I can use the ports
collectio to compile the little ones.

Many thanks.

Ramiro.