Trouble with upgrading ports...

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 07:22:12 GMT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:>
> Correct: the machine that builds fetchindex hasn't
> been getting cvs updates since last week some time.
> I'm in the process of trying to fix this.
> In the meantime, you can build your own index
> ('make index') if you need to update, but this is
> quite resource-intensive.

I always generated the INDEX file myself (yes, it's
indeed resource and time consuming).

When I encountered trouble some time ago, I learned
from this mailing list that I can use "make
fetchindex" and that this is actually better.

I then frequently encounter following problem:
Since I am in Korea, I used cvsup.kr.freebsd.org for
cvsup-ing my ports. However, the 'make fetchindex'
dowloads the INDEX file from elsewhere, which may
not be in sync with my Korean cvsup host.
So I get conflicts when checking port versions and
upgrading outdated ports.

To solve this problem, I now always sync my ports
with one of the main cvsup hosts:
cvsup[n].freebsd.org.
So the Korean freeBSD hosts have become useless to
me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Rob.