FreeBSD basic tool differences with Red Hat Enterprise 3

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Fri Feb 18 07:29:00 PST 2005

Hi all,

Today over here a rather fancy server was delivered on which in little
time I have to set-up several packages, such that the machine becomes a
web server for an intranet application.

Now... Though basically most Unixes are heavily similar, I unfortunately
find myself with very little time to get into the specifics on Red Hat.

I will quickly start doing some RTFM-ing, but I'm hoping anyone on this
list has some experience with this particular Unix, and can perhaps give
me some quick pointers on the following (and later perhaps on some other
things as well):

-What is the tool that more or less does the same as FreeBSDs sysinstall?

-Where does one configure the network adapter settings?

-How does one add packages?

-Probably most important: AFAIK Red Hat is not typically the first
choice for a web server (as opposed to FreeBSD and Debian). Is anyonw
aware of potential security risks/issues that Red Hat Enterprise might
suffer from?

Thanks a lot in advance, and if any replies to this are deemed
inappropriate for the FreeBSD list, can you please reply to my private
e-mail address?

Cheers!
Olafo